Tuesday, November 20, 2007

I just feel so cranky today. Not for any particular reason, I just kind of woke up with a chip on my shoulder. Ed was back and forth about driving me to work this morning, and his delay kind of took me over the edge. That and the fact that he chastised Eddie for getting upset this morning when he thought I’d left and forgot to say goodbye. Plus we got in to it over whose return of ill fitting clothing was more important, his since he needs them to wear on Thanksgiving, or mine which I have been holding on to for a while. Clearly mine are just because I’m me, but he thinks that since I have PLENTY of other clothes, his return is more important. Whatever.

So yeah, I’m pissy. I ordered a new phone yesterday, which should make me feel a bit better, but sadly it doesn’t. (I’ve always had Samsung phones, so I’m nervous about the LG……)

So let’s talk about Thanksgiving!

As I mentioned previously, we are going to my MIL’s on Thursday. Because it would complete her, or something. Whatever. She makes a really good green bean casserole with real fried crispy onions as opposed to those from the can. I’m making dessert and can not decide between a standard chocolate pie, made with pudding and cool whip, or a German sweet chocolate pie. Probably the German since it is Ed’s absolute favorite. Unless he gets on my nerves. Then he gets crap.

Friday, I am cooking and my brother and SIL are coming over. It’s kind of our tradition to cook Thanksgiving on the Friday after and I’m somewhat excited. I totally forgot to put in for a vacation day at daycare, so since I have to pay for it, the kids are going—at least for part of the day. That will give me time to cook and clean anyway. Plus it’s our turn to bring home Max, Eddie’s classroom guinea pig. It’s hard to pick him up of the kids don’t go. Anyway, here is what I am cooking:

• One small turkey, deep fried
• One large turkey, in the oven
• 5lbs of mashed potatoes
• One small dish of sweet potato casserole for my FIL (I pretend to like it, but really, it’s all about the marshmallows)
• Corn bread dressing (note to self—cook cornbread weds night or thurs morning)
• Creamed Corn, from the can
• Green Bean Casserole, with canned onions because I like to eat them from the can while I cook
• Canned cranberry sauce because Ed’s dad is the only one who will touch it
• Brown and Serve rolls because it wouldn’t be turkey day without them
• Tons of gravy, of course
• Pumpkin Pie (frozen)
• Apple Pie (maybe fresh but probably frozen)
• Oreo Cheesecake

I think that’s it. Hopefully we will have a ton of leftovers because I love nothing more that a turkey sandwich on plain white bread, slathered in mayo with green olives on it. It is my favorite thanksgiving food. We’ve been known to get up in the middle of the night for a turkey sammie.

Saturday my cousin is having a birthday party for her son, who is turning 4 (plus she just had a new baby girl!!) and hopefully, Sunday we can rest.

Hopefully I’ll be able to keep up with NaBloPoMo during the craziness.

4 comments:

bananafana said...

i have never had deep fried turkey but people are talking about them everywhere this year. Maybe it is a sign that I need to have some - and really, there is no way to go wrong deep frying anything.

the last time I made green been casserole I debated getting two things of onions just so O and I could eat one while we cooked with the other (I put them on everything and I love them).
sorry you're crabby - hope it ends soon. I think we'll have to cook this weekend so I can have my own leftovers at our house (and I want PIE)

Jess said...

It SOUNDS like you'll have tons of leftovers. I gained five pounds just reading this post. Mmm.

Mommy Daisy said...

Ugh, I hope you start feeling better about things soon. Just reading about all that yummy Thanksgiving food made me feel better.

That sounds like quite a feast. We have two Thanksgiving meals on Thursday. Everyone else is preparing the food though. I have to make Gingerbread cookies for my little cousins (or I'll be in serious trouble), but that's it. Easy!

Misty said...

Wait. OREO CHEESECAKE? Oh Girl, you know I NEEEEEEED that recipe!