Friday, October 19, 2007

You Know You Need To Have It!

Lazy Perogie Recipe (you know you need to have it)

Per Sarah’s request, here is my affectionately dubbed Lazy-P recipe, which is actually my mother’s recipe in some shape or form because I lost her printed version long ago.

You will need:

1lb box of rotini noodles, cooked al dente
2 2lb bags of sour kraut, drained (I do not rinse my kraut because I enjoy the krauty goodness, but you can rinse it if you want to)
1 very large sweet Vidalia onion (or about 3 small onions but I really like the sweetness the Vidalia provides), diced
3 sticks of butter (you could probably tone down the butter if you needed to, but it makes it SO DELICIOUS!!)
Salt and pepper

Directions:

Pre-heat your oven to 350
Melt one stick of butter in your largest frying pan. Add onion and cook on low until its soft and starting to caramelize.
Once the onions are done, melt another stick of butter in to them and add your sour kraut. Mix onions and kraut. Liberally salt and pepper the mix.
Cook on low for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it starts to brown. (I usually cook my noodles while the kraut is cooking)
Mix sour kraut and noodles in a large glass baking dish (I like to use my corning ware) salt and pepper to taste and dot the top with remaining butter.
Cover and bake for 30-45 minutes.

Some people like to add cream of mushroom soup or even some polish sausage, but I think it’s much better without it. Call me a Lazy-P purist if you must. I do like it with some smoked polish sausage on the side though.

5 comments:

Beck said...

That sounds WAY too good.
WAY too.
I'm on a diet. :(

LoriD said...

You had me at Sauerkraut! This reminds me of my favourite cabbage roll recipe.

And... whoa, that's a lot of butter!

Misty said...

Just wanted to let you know I moved. Wanted a more generic URL. So, stop in whenever you get a chance. Nothing's changed but the location. Just thought you might want to update your links, since you so magnanimously have me listed on your site. :)

Nowheymama said...

Oh, boy! I am so excited! We might have to have this this weekend.

aunt myrn said...

you forgot to tell them to salt the water when they cook the noodles!! LOL!!!