Monday, July 23, 2007

K E T C H U P

I remember singing a song in grade school, something along the lines of

“Ketchup is good on most anything! Hot Dogs! Hamburger! Onion Rings!”

I thought about it the other day as I made some wonderfully tender, flavorful breaded turkey cutlets for dinner. They were quite amazing, if I do say so myself. Naturally, I took offense when Ed put ketchup on them. KETCHUP! ON TURKEY!

He said to me at one point during dinner

“The ketchup tastes kind of weird….”

I didn’t even look up from my plate, but replied quite snarkily

“Perhaps it’s because you’re dipping TURKEY in it.”

I was livid, and so offended, and so……like my mother……in that moment.

But seriously, what in the hell would possess you to slather ketchup all over your perfectly good dinner? To be honest with you, I find it to be quite rude.

I blame his mother, who coats my perfect pork chops in the stuff. I know, right!! MY PORK CHOPS! They taste like heaven!

His mother who upon dishing herself a plate of my cheesy Italian goulash this past Saturday, immediately went to the fridge and squeezed ketchup all over it.

I threw her out of my house.

OK, not really, but I sure felt like it.

And what happened when I politely informed her that there was already ketchup in the goulash?

She giggled and took her seat.

6 comments:

Misty said...

How amusing :)

Ketchup on everything...How quirky!

LoriD said...

My friend's son taught my son to put ketchup on PIZZA! Ew!

Anonymous said...

LOL, LOL, LOL!!!!! You make me roar with laughter sometimes!!

Black Sheeped said...

I am guilty of putting ranch on many things I should not put ranch on. Don't worry--it's not that they don't like your food. They just like the way it enhances ketchup, apparently. :)

Beck said...

My husband's brother's girlfriend and her kids put ketchup on EVVVVERYTHING. EVER FOOD GROUP. Well, not dessert.

theflyingmum said...

Aaaack! In my own very humble opinion, there are only three foods that ketchup belongs on: hot dogs (yes!) hamburgers (yes!) and french fries (oh yes!)
I would DEFINITELY take offense if a guest got up and put ketchup on my masterpiece AFTER they tasted it.