Monday, April 02, 2007

For the last few months, Eddie has begged me every day to be dropped off in “Caterpillars”, the room for 3-4 year olds at daycare. Some days they had room for him and some days they did not, but the easiest days to drop him off were the days he could go over there. A few weeks ago, I got the notice that he would be moving up permanently effective 4/2. We were excited since he loves it over there so much.

Friday, they had a going away party for him and his friend Mea who was moving up with him. The kids all took turns saying what they would miss about Eddie and Mea, and signed a good bye/good luck card for them. The teachers made a really big deal about their departure. In the back of my mind, I was thinking that this wasn’t a great idea, but didn’t give it a lot of thought because Eddie talked about it all weekend. He was excited to go to Caterpillars.

Until we actually got there, that is. It would be an understatement to say that Eddie was hysterical when I dropped him off this morning. It wasn’t that he was scared, or that anything in particular was wrong with Caterpillars, he was concerned because his friends would miss him. My poor little ball of emotions was concerned that his other friends wouldn’t make it through the day without him. Poor baby.

I finally got out of there after about 20 minutes. I was almost in tears because he was so upset. They ended up taking him over to say hi to his friends to calm him down. I felt so bad for him.

We had a pretty good weekend. We stocked up at BJ’s on Saturday ($456.00 gulp) and made a decision to never take Caitlyn in to a store again. I can’t even begin to describe how terrible she was. Multiple temper tantrums were involved. We had dinner at The Olive Garden with my parents later on, and it was nice, except for trying to avoid Ed’s former business partner who was seated just after us. We haven’t talked to him since, I don’t know, 2002. Could have been very uncomfortable.

Yesterday was uneventful. Ed got up with the kids and let me go back to sleep---then he made pancakes and bacon. I took Eddie for a haircut and then picked up the few groceries I couldn’t get at BJ’s while the kids napped. It got really sunny and warm in the late afternoon, so we played outside while Ed cleaned the garage and barbequed chicken. After Ed left for work, his dad took Eddie up to the store to return bottles and then to Louie’s for a hotdog since he didn’t eat dinner. Kids were both in bed pretty early, and I was asleep before 11.

So, I’m back at work today and it feels like I never left. I really need a vacation.

2 comments:

theflyingmum said...

Wow! A husband who cooks breakfast AND dinner?! You are a lucky girl.
Poor Eddie, what a sweetie.

aunt myrn said...

it's so endearing to watch how he now thinks about other people's feelings.