Friday, May 11, 2007

This Sunday I’ll be celebrating my fourth Mother’s Day. It is amazing how time flies. I’ve learned a lot over the last four years-things I would never have expected to learn before I was a mommy.

• There is nothing sweeter than your baby’s little face, even when it’s 4am and she wants to nurse, again. Or even when your baby boy is 3 ½ and has peed in his bed and cries and cries because you woke him up to change him.
• Regardless of what your “real job” is, being Mommy becomes your “real job” and the actual job you get paid for is just something you do on the side.
• Regardless of whatever you did in your pre-mommy life, being Mommy is what defines you now. It is what guides you in making any decision and it is the number one factor in who you are.
• You always feel like you could be a better mom, wish that you were a better mom, or wish that you did something differently, but your kids (at least when they’re as little as mine) think you’re the greatest.

There are countless little things, but these are the ones that stand out.

In Eddie’s preschool class this week, they have asked questions about what you do with your Mommy each day and have posted the children’s answers on the door. Some of Eddie’s:

What is the nickname your Mommy calls you? “Bushanaut” (which is a word he made up and calls us) “or Eddie Spaghetti”

What is your favorite food that your Mommy cooks you? “Pizza without the pepperoni.” Glad I’m such a great cook…..

Where is your favorite place to go with your Mommy? “Chuck E Cheeses” I read the question and thought maybe he’d say something brilliant, like the library (why would he say that when he’s never been to the library?), or at least grocery shopping, which he loves, or maybe to the park where we’ve been spending a lot of time. But no, Chuck E Cheeses, where he goes with Ed more often than me. One of the little girls said “church”, which impressed me. Eddie has been asking to come to church with Ed and me, but we don’t think he’s ready.

In Caitlyn’s case the highest form of flattery is that she says “I want Mommy” constantly. Even when I’m holding her. “I want my Mommy” and I say, “You’ve got me!” and she says it again until I say “I want my Catie!” and then she’s a happy girl. I’m excited to pick them up this afternoon and get the mother’s day gifts they made for me.

We have another busy weekend ahead of us. My brother and sister-in-law are graduating from Slippery Rock tomorrow so we are leaving at 7am to get there, and then we are spending Sunday with my parents at “A Day out with Thomas” where we actually ride on Thomas the Train. Exciting, huh?

Finally, I want to say Happy Mother’s Day to all of you wonderful moms out there. I hope your days are full of love and flowers and wonderful time spent with your children.

2 comments:

theflyingmum said...

Yep, love and flowers and lots of time with Ben - pretty much sums up Mother's Day for me. It was good, nice. My husband had to work, but on the whole, it was a very nice Mom's Day.

Misty said...

Happy Happy Happy Mother's Day to you as well.