Wednesday, March 28, 2007

“Why doesn’t she just get a breast reduction?”

I’m sitting in an office with 3 of my peers. The girl walking by has like, an FF cup. I’ve spoken to her about this before. So I tell them- it’s because she wants to breast feed some day, and doesn’t want to jeopardize that.

All three of these women were non breast feeders, while I was. They pretty much trashed breast feeding. “None of my friends did it. I don’t think large breasted women can do it. I don’t think small breasted women can do it. Why would anyone even want to put themselves through that? Isn’t 9 months enough?”

I was (rightfully in my opinion) upset, and I let them know. I breastfed both of my children, and I have very strong feelings on the subject. Unless a woman or her baby has a medical issue that prevents it, I think that every woman owes it to her baby to try breastfeeding. If it doesn’t work out, for what ever reason, it doesn’t work out. But trying is necessary.

Breastfeeding for me, especially with Eddie, my first, was such a wonderful experience. The bonding, the sense of being their sole form of nourishment, the sense that I could still offer them my body’s protection even after they left the womb…It was a great accomplishment for me.

I breastfed Eddie for 7 months and my goal was 6 months. I would have done it longer, but as he increasingly ate more solid foods and as he got so big so fast (he was 20 lbs by the time he was 9 months old) the breast milk was not enough to sustain him. Caitlyn was a lot different. She weaned herself at 4 months because she couldn’t see what was going on- she has been an opinionated busybody since day 1- without her nursing regularly and only being able to pump twice a day at work, my milk dried up fairly quickly.

My point here, is that I tried. I didn’t nurse either of my kids for the recommended year, but I tried. It was inconvenient and uncomfortable at times, but I did it anyway for the sake of my children. With all that is known today about the benefits of breast feeding, I don’t know why more women wouldn’t just try it.

2 comments:

theflyingmum said...

Amen! I tried, unsuccessfully at that, but I did try. I went an emotionally painful 8 months (supplementing with formula - except that it was more like I was supplementing the formula with the paltry ounce or two of breast milk) and I STILL AGREE WITH YOU: So, there, let your co-workers chew on that one for a while.

CAQuincy said...

Hey, I was peeking through your blog for about the third time--and I just noticed that we're kinda neighbors! I live in Rochester.

Anyway, my goal for my first born was 6 wks--with the hope of going a year. I ended up nursing 18 mos, 17 mos, and 23 mos, respectively (while working full time for all three). It was wonderful, and I too wish everyone would at least TRY and not knock it so quickly. I get so frustruated with the negative comments and the terrible advice that is given out to the newest members of the big-belly club waddling around at work. I do my best to advocate the benefits, but I'm always told, "Well, it was so EASY for you!" Well, not necessarily, ladies! And that doesn't mean you gotta scare this poor little thing right to the powdered formula aisle! Folks! You never know what you can acomplish if you don't try it!