Friday, February 09, 2007


My Darling Boy

Eddie fell last night. He wasn’t even screwing around which I think makes it worse. I had gone in to the kitchen to make a cup of tea and he was leaning over the arm of the couch to see what I was doing. In less than a second, he was on the floor. Screaming hysterically, “My head! My arm!”

I picked him up and immediately looked at his teeth. I have a major paranoia about my kids knocking their teeth out. All the teeth are there and the mouth isn’t bloody. He buried his head in my shoulder and I took him in to the kitchen where the light is better and where he was farther away from his sleeping sister. I asked him to show me his teeth again and that’s when I saw it. The larger-than-a-golf-ball goose egg on the right hand side of his forehead.

I really caught me by surprise.

I screamed.

“Oh my god!!”

This worked wonders for his level of hysterics.

“What?!?!” he screamed back in an alarming sob.

Yeah, I wasn’t as cool and calm as I should have been at the beginning. I explained that he had a bump on his head. He told me that he landed on Caitlyn’s buggy (which on a side note, she pushes around looking for her baby saying “beeebeeee, are you??” in the cutest sing-songy type voice) I called the dr’s answering service. I called Ed. My Father-In-Law came out of his room to stand around and keep saying “Wow! Shit! I never seen anything swell up dat fast”

Eddie calmed down pretty quickly and we played “count mommy’s fingers” and “what color is…” and “ok, just one more time, make big eyes for Mommy” for about 30 minutes. He wouldn’t let me ice it, but he did accept M&M’s and milk. When I asked him what his name was, he told me “Eddie” and proceeded to spell his full last name for me. (I don’t know he could do that prior to suspecting that he had a concussion) I was pretty sure he was fine.

The Dr. called back and assured me that unless he was googley eyed and barfing that he was probably fine. He told me in his think Indian accent that “this was all part of a little boy growing up” (but for some reason I think Cait will be worse…)

Eddie was in fact fine, and took some Motrin for his headache. He then milked his booboo situation in to being able to sleep on the couch until I went to bed, and then eventually coming to bed with Ed and me.

He was fine this morning and enjoyed telling EVERYONE at daycare how he fell off the couch. (His teacher also told me that Eddie broke their toilet seat yesterday, but that’s a story for another day) Hopefully, CPS won’t be at my door this evening.

Raising kids and being a mommy through thick and thin is the hardest job I’ve ever had. And I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

3 comments:

theflyingmum said...

Yikes! My biggest fear is concussion. One of my best friends in 3rd grade slipped on some ice on the playground and hit her head. The teacher let me visit her in the nurses office, and I just remember her telling me that she was tired, but they wouldn't let her go to sleep. She was, indeed, "concussed."
I love your reaction to, and his equally alarmed "WHAT?"

Sara said...

I know, God, I'm sucha a lunatic.

theflyingmum said...

Well, at least its better than my tendency to (sometimes) laugh when my son falls down! "No! It's not funny!" He's right, it's not, I really can't explain it. Maybe it's the shocked look on his face when it happens. I bet we all look that way, though. And No! It is not funny.